VA Illiana Health Care System, Danville, Illinois
Palliative Care - Pre-Planning
The following checklist is offered as one way to aid in the process immediately following the loss of a loved one. You can also contact Decedent Affairs for more help with pre-planning:
Things to Do Following the Funeral
___ 1. Obtain certified copies of the death certificate.
___ 2. Write and send acknowledgment cards. Within 7 to 10 days after the funeral you should acknowledge those who extended special help, or sent flowers, or made contributions to designated charities. While you may also wish to acknowledge letters of sympathy, it is not necessary to answer notes or cards.
___ 3. Be prepared to receive a number of letters and phone calls for the deceased, which may continue for some time after death. Do not let these upset you, remembering that these people are making an unintentional mistake.
___ 4. Meet with attorney to commence probate proceeding. Provide the attorney with a copy of the will and certified copy of death certificate. If a properly prepared will exists, the executor named is authorized to make the necessary distributions. This can only be done after the will has been submitted for probate, and letters testamentary are received from your court. If there is no will, an appointed administrator will distribute all property according to your local laws. If there should be any questions regarding estates, please consult your attorney.
___ 5. Notify insurance companies and file claims when applicable. Your insurance representative will be able to answer any questions you may have.
- Life Insurance-Your Funeral Director can assist you with this
- Medical, Health, Disability, Travel and Accident Insurance
- Pension Benefits
- Homeowners Insurance
- Notify employer of deceased
___ 6. Transfer vehicle title
___ 7. Change auto insurance
___ 8. Return Driver's License
___ 9. Apply for appropriate benefits when applicable
- Social Security Benefits-Your Funeral Director will notify Social Security of the death
- Veteran's Burial and Survivor Benefits-Your Funeral Director will apply for these benefits
- Worker's Compensation Benefits
___ 10. Notify Stockbrokers
- Change ownership of jointly- or solely-owned stocks
- Cancel any open orders arranged by the deceased
___ 11. Notify Bank
- Change all jointly held accounts and correct tax ID numbers (usually Social Security numbers)
- Cancel direct deposit of retirement benefit payments
- Re-establish title of safe deposit box
- Re-establish outstanding mortgages, personal notes, etc.
- Apply for all credit life insurance which may exist
___ 12. A monument or marker should be installed at the cemetery as soon as time permits. Many different styles are available, and it is wise to take your time in making your selection. It is a good decision to check with the cemetery official to find out if there are any restrictions as to size or material of the monument. Your funeral director or monument salesperson will be glad to answer your questions in this regard.
1900 E. Main Street, B98, Rm B209
Danville, IL 61832
Hours of Operation
- M-F 7:30a.m.-4:00p.m.